My very first car ever was a silver ’89 Hyundai Excel, 4 door hatchback. My sister had driven it before me, her first car also. The door pull on the back door was missing, so you kind of had to hold onto the window sill to pull the door closed. But that was about the only thing wrong with it.
I LOVED this car. I named him Ed, Ed the Excel! Ed had regular baths (wash) and lipo (vacuumed). And the summer of ’95 he took my friends and me everywhere. Ed was the 4th member of our little group. I drove him only for about a year, maybe less and then I got a little truck. We sold him to a friend of my parents; I hope they knew how special he was! I doubt it.
I haven’t loved another car that much since. I was reminded of my Ed yesterday while driving. I was sitting at a light and saw an Excel up on a tow truck. It took me back to some good times! J
I’ve been driving a ’03 Dodge Durango for the past 3 years and I’m loving it. Not “naming it” loving it, but I love it still. It’s got the 3rd seat, so I can put extra people back there or fold it down and fill up the trunk. If I have to drive the husbands little truck for a day, I’m SO ready to get my “truck” back. People tell me “it’s not a truck” well saying “my SUV” just sounds weird. And it’s not a car, so I can’t call it my car either. Either way, truck, suv, I love my vehicle. Sure I’ve had some problems with the window motor, and I had to have some work done on the emissions system. But nothing major and nothing crazy expensive. I’ve driven it across the country several times, and it’s great for road trips, everyone has space. My only issue with it is the emissions I’m sure are bad (it’s an SUV after all) and the gas mileage. If only I could get the Durango hybrid, but I hear that’s be cancelled from production by Dodge. Boo!! I would forever drive only Durangos, IF they were better at emissions and gas mileage. But they’re not.
So I think my next car, when ever that might be, will be a Toyota Prius. I am SO not a car person, can’t really stand them for me. But I would have to get over that, as the emissions and gas mileage can’t be beat. “They” say the Prius price isn’t worth it for what you’d save in gas. Who cares. The ultra-low emissions are worth it enough for me. To know that when I’m driving I’m not dumping out tons more CO2 than I should. That’ll work. Plus the technology is just cool! People say “well what about the batteries going into the landfill?” Toyota will pay you $200 (I think) to have them recycled. So until there are the hydrogen cars or the wind power cars, I’ll stick with the Prius. Or someday I will, ‘cause I can’t sell/trade in my Durango yet! Haha!
A short escape to Cordoba in January
7 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment